TOEFL iBT Study Guides

TOEFLers,

Go to my You Tube Playlist of TOEFL Study Guides to  find a study guide that closely matches your situation.

You can begin your lessons today, tomorrow, or whenever the time is right for you. If you are not sure which study guide will work best for you, leave a comment on this page with the following information:

• What is your current TOEFL Score/English proficiency, including a breakdown of subtotals in reading, listening, writing, and speaking?
  • Discuss your future academic goals, including how high of a TOEFL score you need. Be sure to include a breakdown of specific scores you need in the reading, listening, writing, and speaking sections.
  • How much time are you willing to study daily to improve your academic English proficiency?
  • How many weeks or months can you devote to preparing for the TOEFL iBT exam?

Based on the information you provide, I will recommend a study guide for my Online TOEFL Course to help you reach your TOEFL goals.

– Michael Buckhoff (mbuckhoff@aol.com), founder, owner, and materials writer for the Online TOEFL Course “The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT

1. Gerardo
    Aug 13, 2016 @ 14:15 pm

I took the Toefl IBT on June the 25th 2016 and got 60 (Reading 12, Listening 19, Speaking 17, and Writing 12) I need 79 points for a MBA in Germany. The deadline will be in January 2017 so I have no problem with the time (In that sense, I can take the test in November or December) Which study guide fits me better ? and What do you think about my true possibilities, looking for 19 points ? I’m looking forward your response.

Thanks in advance.

PD I am a spanish native speaker

Gerardo

• Gerardo
      Aug 13, 2016 @ 14:19 pm

Me again, I only have from one hour to two hours per day.

Gerardo

Aug 16, 2016 @ 11:21 am

Gerardo,

Yes, I think it is possible for you to reach your target score within the time frame you specified. Here are my video comments:

2. aamer
    Jul 28, 2016 @ 21:06 pm

dear michael,

I am going to do a toefl exam on Aug 6th 2016. this will be the second time of doing toefl. The first exam was horrible. I got 48 score in total!! ( 8 reading- 10 writing- 12 listening- 18 speaking) but I did it without any preparation and I wasted a lot of time. I remember at the reading section I skipped 2 paragraphs I just answered the 1st paragraph because there wasn’t enough time to do the rest, and also at the writing part I answerd only one question.

now I have been studying at English school in Vancouver,Canada for 3 months. I started with intermediate level, and now my level is upper intermediate.

I have to get 80 in total in order to be accepted by saskachwan university to do master in pharmaceutical science then Phd.

i only have 8 days left for toefl and I really don’t know how to preper my self.
    Could you please tell me the best way to prepare my self ?

Jul 29, 2016 @ 16:14 pm

Aamer,

Eight days of preparation left before you take the TOEFL iBT exam? There really isn’t anything you can do in that short amount of time that will significantly impact your TOEFL score. Since you have been studying English for the last three months and since your initial TOEFL score is 48, I am guessing that next TOEFL score is between 55 and 70.

Whatever you score, it is doubtful that you can reach 80. Therefore, here is my recommendation: Take the TOEFL iBT and get your score. Then post your results here, followed by the following question: “What do I need to do to score 80+ on my next TOEFL iBT exam. Then I will create a customized plan to help you reach your goal.

So, do not join my Online TOEFL Course until after you have taken the TOEFL exam.

Good luck to you!

• aamer
        Aug 15, 2016 @ 21:03 pm

hi sir,

thank you for your response.

i want to tell you that i did the toefl exam last week and i got 71 in total ( 14 reading, 17 listening, 20 writing, and 20 speaking ). Now i want to take another exam after one month, so do you think that i can get 80 in total and 20 at each part ? how ?

have a nice day sir,
        aamer

Aug 16, 2016 @ 11:28 am

Aamer,

How many hours a day do you have to prepare for the exam?

• aamer
            Aug 19, 2016 @ 20:38 pm

I have 4 hours daily for preparation.

Aug 20, 2016 @ 10:05 am

Aamer,

3. Vali
    Jun 29, 2016 @ 21:17 pm

I have found your course and site while I was searching the net to find an online TOEFL IBT course. I will take exam in about 30-40 days.

I have taken IELTS before and my score was 6.5 (7.5 Speaking, 7 Listening, 6 Reading and 5.5 Writing)

The reason that I switch from IELTS to TOEFL, TOEFL does not require to write with your hands. I have problem in my hands that is why it affects very badly my writing and drops my score.

I think I will join to your course. I also would be able from your reccomendations.

I will take exam in a month and I need minimum 100 from TOEFL IBT.

best,

Vali

Jul 07, 2016 @ 14:01 pm

Vali,

Your IELTS score translates into approximately 79-89/120 on the TOEFL iBT exam, and you want to get a score higher than 100. Generally, based on my experience of having taught 1000’s of TOEFL students both online and at California State University, San Bernardino, dedicated students improve 5-10 points in their overall TOEFL score on a monthly basis. However, the closer you get to 100, the harder it becomes to make any significant improvements.

Therefore, the question is this: “Can you improve your TOEFL score from 79 to 100 in 30 to 40 days?” In my opinion, probably not. You are looking at a minimum of 3 to 6 months before you will be able to reach that goal. I suggest that you follow these steps in order to reach the unusually high score of 100+.

1. Spend about 2-3 hours daily on getting exposure to English in the form of completing the vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar sections of my course.

2. Once you have complete the first three sections of my online TOEFL course, then you should go through the listening and the reading sections not only by completing the comprehension questions after the practice tests but also by taking notes on the reading and listening passages. Then using your notes, you can practice writing academic summaries of the listening and reading passages. I recommend that you write three 250 word summaries weekly. Similarly, using your notes, you should also practice speaking about the listening and reading passages. In fact, I suggest that you give and record three academic summaries weekly. Keep your response limited to 60 seconds, so you get used to packaging your ideas into a concise 60-second format.

3. Finally, once you have finished five sections of my Online TOEFL Course, then you should complete the writing and speaking sections by 1) completing the independent and integrated writing and speaking lessons and then by 2) posting writing and speaking practice tests for me to comment on and grade. As I provide feedback, you will learn to modify your delivery, language use, and topic development so that you score higher on these tasks.

4. After about three months of following this plan, consider taking a full-length five hour TOEFL iBT practice test so that 1) you can become more familiar with the format of the TOEFL exam, 2) you can develop the strength and concentration needed in longer type English exams, and 3) you will be able mark your progress so that you can see how close you are to your goal of scoring 100+.

Good luck to you!

4. Tamim
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 11:41 am

Dear Sir,
    I am currently student of business administration (5th semester). I really like to take my master’s degree after i am graduated. i have one and half year to prepare for TOEFL exam. I need to get 75 marks in order to apply in scholarship. i need to improve my speaking, writing, reading. i am looking forward for your guidance. thanks

5. Wafaa Medjdoub
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 23:50 pm

Hello Mr.micheal. I will take my Toefel exam in 25 juin 2016 for a second time , I failed in the first , I’ve got 45 /120 in scores 17 in speaking section and 10 in reading , listening and writing section . .the score which I need is 90 to attend a university in Netherlands. I have approximately 3 months to improve my English and I can improve my academic English proficiency in every day for one hour . I am looking forward to receiving your information.

Kind regards,

Wafaa Medjdoub

6. Mainak Bhattacharyya
    Feb 06, 2016 @ 09:16 am

Greetings for the day!! 🙂
    I have purchased your online course for TOEFL ibt, however i could login in your page for study. My email id and password is identified as mismatched pairs. It would be of great help if you could send me my username and password so that i can login and start my preparation.
    Regards 🙂

Feb 06, 2016 @ 10:05 am

Mainak,

I just sent you your username and password so that you can join my Online TOEFL Course.

Thanks!

7. Aimaiti Aikeremu
    Feb 05, 2016 @ 21:53 pm

Hi Micheal,

I will take my TOEFL exam in 21st May 2016 for the first time. My goal in TOEFL score is to get 96 to attend a university in North America. I have just joined your online course and paid the course payment via Paypal. I would like to make an appropriate study plan for my exam and I really need you help on this.
    Could you please inform me the next step and also please kindly let me know when I will receive my access to your online courses?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
    Aimaiti Aikeremu

Feb 06, 2016 @ 09:58 am

AA,

Here are my video comments to you: ks,

8. Germán
    Dec 12, 2015 @ 00:37 am

Hello Mr. Michael,

In November 14 of this year I took the test and got a low-intermediate score of R= 26, L= 18, S= 15 and W= 20, total score of 79. I have no real problems at reading and understanding long and complex texts, since I have been doing that in an academic context for around 5 years at the university (my mother tongue is Spanish). In the other hand, as I has not been exposed never to a real English-speaking environment I have a serious lack of proficiency (and confidence) to use advanced vocabulary and common-not-academic expressions which I suppose are highly ranked at the writing and speaking sections.

After taking a look at your website I am convinced that your course and method could really help me to achieve my goal of a total score of 93 or higher with a minimum of around 22 for each section. With that, I would be able to complete the set of documents that I need to apply for a Master of Science.

I think these low results are more related to a lack of study-time because I did not know where to start to be ready for the test. Also, I am in a hurry because I take my second test in February 6 in the coming year. Maybe it sounds redundant but I suppose I need the 60-day guide for my purpose, but what better than asking you for advice before joining your course and be absolutely sure before taking any step for this short period of time that I need to study.

Thanks in advance,
    Germán

Dec 13, 2015 @ 13:08 pm

German,

9. tina
    Nov 30, 2015 @ 13:33 pm

hi Micheal

My name is Tina, and i want to get 26 points of speaking on TOEFL test ( for medical school). i haven’t taken TOEfl before so i don’t know what level i am. Can you suggest some advice ?

Tina

10. Eda
    Nov 21, 2015 @ 02:46 am

Hi Dear Micheal,

I will take my first TOEFL exam in January. I need to take TOEFL score is 80 to attend a university in the USA. I need to take this score in January. I just bought your online course. I think I have to wait 24 hours to get my password. Looking forward to studying with this website.
    If I could reach my goal score, I would be so appreciated.

Warmly,
    Eda.

Nov 22, 2015 @ 06:06 am

Eda,

You should have access to my Online TOEFL Course by now. Let me know if you have any trouble logging on to my Online TOEFL Course.