TOEFL iBT Study Guides

TOEFLers,

I am putting together some specialized study guides to help you meet your target overall TOEFL score and subtotal scores in the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections.

TOEFL Writing Boot Camp Course:

This course is designed for those TOEFLers who need to score 24 points+ on the writing section of the TOEFL exam.  They already have met their subtotal requirements in the reading, listening, and speaking sections of the TOEFL exam.

Download and open the PDF.

Go to Day 1 of course outline and click on “Join this course.”

TOEFL Speaking Boot Camp Course:

This course helps TOEFLers who need to score 26 points+ on the speaking section of the exam. They already have met their subtotal requirements in the reading, listening, and writing sections of the TOEFL exam.

Download and open the PDF.

Go to Day 1 of course outline and click on “Join this course.”

90-Day 7-Step System Course:

This course is for those who need 15 to 30 points of improvement in their overall TOEFL scores.

Download and open the PDF.

Go to Day 1 of course outline and click on “Join this course.”

“Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. Don’t wish it were easier; wish you were better.” — Jim Rohn

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

In addition, go to my You Tube Playlist of TOEFL Study Guides to find study guides that I have recommended for students over the last few years.

You can begin your lessons today, tomorrow, or whenever the time is right for you. If you are not sure which study guide will work best for you, leave a comment on this page with the following information:

• What is your current TOEFL Score/English proficiency, including a breakdown of subtotals in reading, listening, writing, and speaking?
  • Discuss your future academic goals, including how high of a TOEFL score you need. Be sure to include a breakdown of specific scores you need in the reading, listening, writing, and speaking sections.
  • How much time are you willing to study daily to improve your academic English proficiency?
  • How many weeks or months can you devote to preparing for the TOEFL iBT exam?

Based on the information you provide, I will recommend a study guide for my Online TOEFL Course to help you reach your TOEFL goals.

The “7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL IBT” is pleased to partner with ScoreNexus by offering full-length TOEFL iBT and section-specific tests. Click on the link http://scorenexus.com?afmc=1f to to take one of these high quality full-length iBT TOEFL practice tests.  If you have not taken the TOEFL iBT exam and you want Michael Buckhoff to recommend you a study plan to help you reach your target TOEFL scores, you should take a full-length TOEFL iBT practice test, and then you should e-mail the results to Michael Buckhoff so he can accurately assess your situation.

– Michael Buckhoff (mbuckhoff@aol.com), founder, owner, and materials writer for the Online TOEFL Course “The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT

1. Nicholas
    Nov 19, 2015 @ 15:02 pm

Hi ,
    On Dec 12th, I will take the toefl ibt test. I need to get score above 93. Usually, my score is
    R:22
    L:24
    S:18
    W:19.
    However, the only mistake that i got in the reading section is the vocab question while for the listening section, i always get mistakes in question “What does the professor mean when he/she say this…..”. My speaking & writing score aren’t good enough too.

I would like to know that can i improve my reading and writing score if i take your 30 day online course? Because I can’t speak well and it means that i have to get higher score for the other sections.

2. Lee
    Nov 10, 2015 @ 18:17 pm

Hi,

I took my first TOEFL IBT test and scored “72”. (I did not study at all:P)

READING:19
    LISTENING:17
    SPEAKING:20
    WRITING:16

I need to have total score of 82 and I have a month to prepare for it.
    Could you tell me which study guide is best for me?
    Oh, and I’m willing to study like 7-8 hours a day.

• Lee
      Nov 10, 2015 @ 18:43 pm

Sorry, I have one more additional question for you, Sir.
      If I’d like to obtain a total score of 100, I was just wondering how will it take for me to reach that goal?
      Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

3. Bon
    Nov 09, 2015 @ 04:10 am

I scored 91 in the TOEFL iBT with

Reading 21
    Listening 23
    Speaking 22
    Writing 25.

I need a 100+ with at least 22 in each section.
    I have approximately 1 month to take the exam again (plan to take it around Dec. 15th, 2015), but since I am working full time, I only can study 3 hours / day (on weekends I can make it to 7-8 hrs/day).

What do you recommend me to do (if you ever see a chance for me to do it) ?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

Nov 09, 2015 @ 08:09 am

Bon,

• Bon
        Nov 10, 2015 @ 23:48 pm

thank you for your answer and tips. I will for sure follow them word for word.
        But allow me to be honest about my first TOEFL experience.
        I think the “Official Guide” book gave me a wrong feeling of safety. I don’t know why ETS does this, but I feel I am very disappointed about the huge difference between the level of the “practise tests in this Official Guide” and the real test I took.
        I thought those practise tests were real tests as well. When I was preparing for my first try, I got at least 91% in the reading and listening. I finished the listening part 15-20 mn before the time ends.
        But then and to my huge disappointment, I discovered during the real test that those so called practise tests were at a level that is worlds far from the level required to hit the score I am looking for.

My question to you: which book(s) do you recommend me to use for my second preparation that would help me prepare at a comparable level of difficulty, not as easy as the practise tests in the “Official Guide” ?

Joe

4. Najifa Ahmed
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 13:15 pm

Hi Sir,

I took TOEFL test on Dec, 2012 and got 71 at that time with 19 in reading, 13 in listening, 18 in speaking and 21 in writing. After that I didn’t continue the TOEFL preparation but completed two of the 4 prerequisites for MS in Engineering program and took GRE test. and achieved required score for admission. I am planning to take TOEFL again and the requirements for the MS program is to get at least 90 in TOEFL. I was just wondering which 1 of your courses will be better fitted for me. I would like to mention that recently I am pregnant and my due date is on Jan 11, 2016. I am ok to prepare for the TOEFL for next two months though and then have a planning to take the test on last week of Feb, 2016. I want to study for 5 hrs daily which will be 3 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the evening. Please give me advice as soon as possible since I am little bit worried about my time and my Dr. tells me that it is completely fine to get prepared if I feel comfortable. Waiting for your response.

Najifa

Oct 31, 2015 @ 12:13 pm

NA,

I recommend my 90-Day TOEFL Study Guide for you: http://toeflonlinecourse.michaelbuckhoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/90-Day-7-Step-Study-Guide.pdf

Also, keep in mind that, once you join my course, you will have complete, unlimited access to more than 700 vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, listening, reading, writing, and speaking lessons. The study guide is simply a suggestion of how you can use my Online TOEFL Course based on your current goals.

Happy Halloween!

5. Virginia
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 11:06 am

Hello I’m Virginia, my score is 98, i need to have 100+ to apply a masters degree. I take two times the test already and in both i scored 98. I have 1 week or max 2 weeks to prepare. Do you have something that could help me with this two points?

Thank you!

• Virginia
      Oct 26, 2015 @ 11:09 am

Sorry I forgot to type the breakdown.

My highest scores for each section considering both tests are:

Reading 27
      Listening 27
      Speaking 24
      Writing 24

6. Thanh Can
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 22:47 pm

hi,
    I am Thanh. I have to to take TOEFL iBT . I need to obtain minimum score 83. Now, my score is 38. How long can I obtain score 83. Can you tell me how to improve my score.
    I am interesting in your online course.
    Thank you for your time and help.
    Thanh Can.

Sep 11, 2015 @ 15:13 pm

TC,

Thanks!

7. Valentina
    Aug 23, 2015 @ 11:28 am

Hello Michael,

I passed ibt TOEFL on 1st August-2015 with total -76.
    I got on Reading -18, Listening-22,Speaking-19, Writing-17.I need 100.
    I Would like to get 25 for each section.Which program do you recommend me to take?
    I Would like to have my second trial around 22 October-2015.

Best regards,
    Valentina

Aug 24, 2015 @ 09:55 am

Valentina,

Improving from 76 to 100, a total of 24 points, will require significant effort on your part. Furthermore, your goal of getting a minimum of 25 points in each section of the test also will push you to your mental and physical limits. Your time frame of approximately two months is, unfortunately, not enough time for you to solve all the vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, listening, reading, writing, and speaking problems that you have. Most diligent students improve about 5-10 points in their overall score for each month that they prepare for the TOEFL.

Please keep in mind that, once you join my Online TOEFL Course, you will have complete, unlimited access to all 700 of my TOEFL lessons and practice tests, so you can use my course any way you like. The following steps outlined below are MY recommendations of how you can prepare for the TOEFL iBT exam. I based my recommendations on more than 21 years of TOEFL preparation teaching experience and on that fact that I have taught 1000’s and 1000’s of students during this period.

First of all, get in the habit of reading everyday for about 45 minutes. You can read newspapers, magazines, and books. The main point here is that you choose topics in which you have an interest and read those topics on a daily basis. Your goal in this step is to read NONSTOP for 45 minutes without checking your smart phone or talking to anyone. In fact, do not even stop reading when you see words that you do not know. As you read, you should take notes in writing on the main and most important supporting points of the passages that you are reading.

Second of all, get in the habit of practicing listening everyday for about the same amount of time. In this case, find listening topics that focus on academic-related subjects. For example, if you have English television, you can watch news, documentary, history, and science programs, all of which will give you practice with higher-level vocabulary. If you do not have English television, you can use the following web sites for listening practice: National Public Radio, Ted Talks, and Randall’s Cyber Listening Lab. Similar to your reading practice, you should practice taking down notes on a sheet of paper by focusing on the main and most important supporting points of the listening passages.

Third of all, as you do your reading and listening practice, you should practice writing and speaking about the topics that you are practicing. To practice writing, write three 250 word summaries of the reading and listening passages. Your summaries should be based on the notes that you have written down, and you should not copy word for word from the reading and listening passages. Instead, use your own grammar and vocabulary to summarize the ideas that you have read and listened to. To practice speaking, you should give three 60-second oral responses each week, and make sure that record your voice as you speak about the reading and listening passages so that you can self-monitor any problems you might be having with delivery, language use, and topic development.

Fourth of all, as you can see, the first three suggestions have less to do with the TOEFL exam and relate more to helping you improve your overall English language abilities as they relate to reading, listening, note-taking, writing, and speaking. In addition, you should spend about 40% of your study time each daily going through the lessons in my Online TOEFL Course: Vocabulary, Pronunciation, and Grammar (1-2 months), Listening and Speaking (1-2 months), and Writing and Speaking (2-3 months). Consequently, my best guess is that you will need 4-7 months of daily study each day before you reach your goal of 100, which is a very high score for you based on your current academic English language abilities. Each day, following the four suggestions outlined in this plan, you should be spending about 2-4 hours of daily study.

Of course, if you want in two months, go to the eighth section of my course, and complete a full-length five hour TOEFL iBT practice test so that you can mark your progress, you can re-familiarize yourself with the structure and format of the exam, and you can develop the strength and stamina needed to complete a rigorous exam like the TOEFL. Practice makes perfect, right?

Good luck to you!

Michael Buckhoff, founder, owner, and materials writer for “The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT”

8. Tabatha
    Aug 08, 2015 @ 14:46 pm

Dear Michael

I sent you an email and asked for my appropriate study guide. Now I notice that I should leave my comment here. Sorry. Did you see my email?

Tabatha

9. hans herzberg
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 15:06 pm

Dear Mr. Buckhoff ,

I would like to know which study guide will the most apropriate for me. I took the toefl ibt test months ago and I got these scores :

Reading 19

Listening 14

Speaking 22

Writing 24

Total 79

My goal is to score at least 26 on toefl speaking section.

Hans

Aug 08, 2015 @ 10:17 am

Hans,

I answered your questions by e-mail. Here are my comments about your situation:

10. Issa Haddad
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 00:08 am

Hi,
    I made a mistake and paid twice, so what we can do for this? In addition, I didn’t receive any password or user name to log in to the course. I think I’m kind of lost in your website so please help me.

Aug 08, 2015 @ 10:13 am

Issa,

I refunded one of your payments and cancelled one of your subscriptions. In addition, I enrolled you in my Online TOEFL Course and sent you your username and password.

Let me know if you have any problems logging on.