TOEFL iBT Study Guides

TOEFLers,

Go to my You Tube Playlist of TOEFL Study Guides to  find a study guide that closely matches your situation.

You can begin your lessons today, tomorrow, or whenever the time is right for you. If you are not sure which study guide will work best for you, leave a comment on this page with the following information:

• What is your current TOEFL Score/English proficiency, including a breakdown of subtotals in reading, listening, writing, and speaking?
  • Discuss your future academic goals, including how high of a TOEFL score you need. Be sure to include a breakdown of specific scores you need in the reading, listening, writing, and speaking sections.
  • How much time are you willing to study daily to improve your academic English proficiency?
  • How many weeks or months can you devote to preparing for the TOEFL iBT exam?

Based on the information you provide, I will recommend a study guide for my Online TOEFL Course to help you reach your TOEFL goals.

– Michael Buckhoff (mbuckhoff@aol.com), founder, owner, and materials writer for the Online TOEFL Course “The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT

1. Carlos David
    Feb 22, 2017 @ 11:01 am

I took my Toefl test in October 2016 and I received 72, R= 19, L= 21, S= 19 and W= 14. I would like to apply for a Masters degree in Civil engineering. Therefore, I need to get 88 with a break down of 22 in each section. I have been practicing reading daily and listening podcasts. However, I am doing pretty bad in the writing section. What can you suggest me to improve my score. I willing to spend 2-4 hours daily. My next Toefl test is in may 16.

Feb 23, 2017 @ 11:09 am

Carlos,

• Carlos David
        Feb 24, 2017 @ 07:00 am

Thank you for you quick response and also for all the important points that you explain to me, so clearly. However, In your last comment, you spoke about the additional fee for error corrections, I would like to know what is the cost of it? and whether or not the summaries for my reading and listening are included in the 45 ?. After those questions, I have to say that I am very excited to improve my English skill in your program.

Thanks Michael beforehand.

Feb 24, 2017 @ 13:53 pm

Carlos David,

For the low cost advertised on my site right now of $45, you will have complete, unlimited access to more than 700 vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, listening, reading, writing, and speaking.

In addition, you can post speaking and pronunciation practice tests and get 3-5 minutes of audio feedback from me at no extra charge. Similarly, you can also complete independent and integrated writing practice tests and get generic feedback (including a score) from my teaching assistant. This is also covered in the $45 payment that you make.

However, neither he nor I will correct the errors in your writing practice tests for the $45 monthly price because it is too consuming to do that. For example, it may take me up to 90 minutes to read and correct one of your independent or integrated writing practice tests. For this service, I charge an additional one time payment of $50 to read and correct an independent or an integrated writing practice test.

In your case, I recommend that you have me correct at least one independent and one integrated writing practice test, so that will cost you an additional $100 if you decide to use that additional service.

2. Besart
    Feb 22, 2017 @ 01:43 am

I am seriously considering joining your course, since my current score is pretty low at 77. Reading and Listening were my weak points scoring 17 respectively 16 points. Any tips on improving those two sections? I struggle on paying attention to details during the listening section and probably I need to enrich my vocabulary to get a higher score on reading. Is it possible to get the 1700 vocabulary file for free at this time? Thank you in advance.

Feb 22, 2017 @ 14:09 pm

Besart,

Feb 22, 2017 @ 14:13 pm

Besart,

That is my spelling mistake! The correct spelling is “beautify.”

3. Ljpaulino
    Feb 07, 2017 @ 15:56 pm

Hello Michael.

My name is Luis and I am from Dominican Rep. Recently I’ve gratuaded from medicine school science and I need and overall score of 80p. Incluiding 22 (L) and 26(S) to be addmited in an university at the states, but first of all I wanted to know if my English skills are higher enought to take Toelf/IBT (Don’t want to waste my money). I can understand over 85-90 percent in each one of your videos, my pronuciation it is very good, but most of the time I get nervious and I don’t know what to say. In fact, details is something I am not good for. In the other hand I barely catch a few words in toefl listenning practice (lectures).

This is going to be my first time taking Toefl, therfore I haven’t a score yet. My test could be on april 1st or 27 2017. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

4. Juan
    Jan 24, 2017 @ 13:56 pm

Hi Michael! I your system is fantastic, in fact I was a user of your system by just one month two years ago, and I really improve amazingly. But, for job purposes I stop being your student. So, obviously one month was not enough time. Anyway, I want to go back and study with your system, because I need a 110 points in the TOEFL IBT. I am planning to do the TOEFL IBT around May or June, 2017.
    Do you think you can help me? With what kind of course or guide should I start?

Jan 28, 2017 @ 07:07 am

Juan,

What is your current TOEFL score, including subtotals in the reading, listening, speaking, and writing? For your score of 110, do you have any specific subtotal requirements in the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections? Let me know this information, and I can give you some ideas on what you need to do to reach your goals.

• Juan
        Feb 08, 2017 @ 15:36 pm

Thanks Michael!
        Well my last score was on December, 2014, and it was 84.
        Reading (20), Listening (26), speaking (20) and writting (18).

I need a 110 total score, but it has to be just if I got a 25 or more on each test.

So, what do you think in order to start being your student? In fact, I don’t only want to pass the test, I aslo want to generally improve my english.

It is also important to say that from now on and until May, I wouldn’t have enough time during the weeks to do the job, just on weekends. After that, I would going to have more time during the weeks. So, in that sense I recognize and assume that my improvment it wouldn’t go as fast as I would like, but anyway I think it is better to start with something.

Thanks in advance.
        Juan

Feb 09, 2017 @ 12:00 pm

Juan,

• Juan
            Feb 10, 2017 @ 17:16 pm

Thank you very much Michael! I will follow your recommendation. So, looking forward around May.
            Best,
            Juan

5. Fred
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 23:28 pm

Hi Michael
    I need 93 to pass the toefl breaking down into R22 L21 S26 W24. I took the toefl last time 2 years ago then I stopped trying now I want to take it again I want to know what do you recommend for me
    Thank

Jan 24, 2017 @ 12:25 pm

Fred,

What was your last TOEFL score, including subtotals in the reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections?

6. Antonio
    Dec 29, 2016 @ 06:03 am

Hi Michael

I am Chemical Engineering graduate looking for study a masters degree in a german university .
    My situation is that i need 90 at TOEFL IBT to continue my application process , when i was little i used to live in states (California) with some relatives that i have there and learned there some basic english and went back to Mexico since then i´ve studied and speaked ; i tried to take a TOEFL preparation course but i had to drop it for some personal reasons . When i was in the university i took the toefl ITP without preparation and i got this scores (Listening 55 , Writing 43 , Reading 57 ) getting a total of 517 (nothing impressive) it was almost 2 years ago and then i did an abroad year in germany and began studying that language i think that studying another language worsed my english grammar even more .
    I am looking to take the examen on march or april but i need some advice .

Thanks for reading

Antonio

Dec 29, 2016 @ 06:27 am

Antonio,

I just answered your question by e-mail.

Happy New Year 2017!

7. cupper
    Dec 12, 2016 @ 06:16 am

where can i get free toefl voca file?

Dec 15, 2016 @ 07:43 am

Cupper,

I sent you the vocabulary list by e-mail.

Happy Holidays!

8. martha bonilla
    Oct 12, 2016 @ 13:35 pm

I need 90-100 score to apply for UCSD dance master (if I get between 90 and 100 points
    it is ok, but I must take a leveling course in the university). I think speaking is my lower knowledge, although I should study the other 3 skills. I have to practice under pressure too. I really don´t know what is my current toefl score. I need your advice how to improve my English proficiency. What kind of course do you recommend for me if I have 1 month preparation spending 2-3 hours daily?

I want to start inmediately

Martha

9. Agnes
    Sep 26, 2016 @ 10:59 am

I took a TOEFL exam last year and received R-13, L-19, S-18, and W-17. It was very stressful situation for me and I couldn’t present my real English abilities due to time limitation and hard to believe noise during that exam. Although I read books in English, listen to a public radio and write a summary of articles every day, I need to improve my spoken English especially in an academic context. The only goal I have is to get 26 points for speaking section for a teacher’s license, but it seems to be the most difficult to me. Therefore I need your advice how to improve my English proficiency. Is it possible to reach my goal in approximately 2 months? What kind of course do you recommend for me?
    I can spend 2-3 hours daily for TOEFL preparation.
    Thank you.